I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend! So….when is the last time you took a vacation day? If you said ‘pre-COVID', you’re not alone. With nowhere to go, many employees have cancelled vacations and have no plans in sight for time off. Without an official ‘vacation’ planned, do we still need time off? Resoundingly, the answer is yes. The Harvard Business Review recently discussed how employee work hours have soared since the start of the pandemic but people’s capacity to focus and be productive has crashed. The article shares some sound advice they received from a survey to employers on how to encourage time off but I like the simple survey feedback they received from Limeade’s CEO Henry Albrecht, “Share the rules, show care, model the behaviors, and trust people to do the right thing”.
Have a safe and healthy week.
- How the Cult of Sleep-Deprivation Affects Work – Many high-powered jobs require you to work long hours and give up sleep. But can that harm your career? Tune into this 30-minute episode of the Anxious Overachiever to find out.
Social & Family Wellbeing
- How to Have a Difficult Conversation – Business Founder and author Kristen Hadeed shares some clear and impactful tips on navigating difficult conversations.
- Managing Summer Disruptions (and Beyond) for our Kids due to COVID – In this quick video, Dr. Tina Payne Bryson talks about the disappointment our kids might feel as their summer activities are being cancelled due to the pandemic. There may be highs and lows as they deal with anger, sadness, and frustration. But as parents, we can prepare by anticipating that our kids might need a little more support from us, not just when we tell them but throughout the summer. Watch the full video to learn more.
- How to Make the Most of Credit Card Reward Points – Credit card rewards may seem confusing, but if you use your cards right, they can be lucrative. This article shares a few quick tips for success.
- Overcoming Sugar Addiction – This podcast interview with Dr. Mark Hyman discusses why quitting sugar is so difficult (hint: because it’s an actual physical addiction). The discussion dives into how we can reset our biochemistry and take back our health.
- Make the Most of Your SPF – This article explains the difference between chemical and mineral SPF’s and tells you when to apply them for the best results.
- Mastering Resiliency – Award-winning Author and Resiliency Expert, Jenny Evans, teaches you how to conquer stress and unlock your peak performance.
- 30-Minute Vinyasa Yoga – Join Namaste Wellness for a 30-minute class to release stress and deepen the mind-body connection. Thursday, July 9th at 7:30 AM. RSVP HERE.
- New Ways to Support Mental Health, Addiction, and Community wellbeing – The organization, Mindful Philanthropy, launched to expand informed giving to mental health and addiction initiatives. This is an amazing resource to find out how you can support these incredibly important causes.
EMPLOYER FOCUSED RESOURCES
- The Real Causes of Employee Burnout – According to a recent Gallup report, 76% of employees experience burnout at least sometimes. Will reducing hours solve the problem? Learn the real causes of burnout and what you can do about it.
- Managers, Encourage Your Team to Take Time Off – This great piece by the Harvard Business Review discusses the reluctancy of employees to take time off right now some strategies to approach this.
For more resources and updates, check out our Coronavirus Resource Center at aleragroup.com/coronavirus/.
About the Author
Andrea Davis, Director of Wellbeing
Andrea joined Alera Group Northeast (formerly CBP) in July 2013, bringing over 15 years of experience in management consulting and strategic solutions. As the Director of Wellbeing, she is responsible for assisting with the development, implementation and evaluation of comprehensive wellness strategies for existing and prospective Alera Group clients. She provides assistance and support to Alera Group clients by developing personalized programs that fit clients’ unique health management needs, wellness program implementation, committee development, promotion and marketing of their programs to encourage participation. In addition, Andrea conducts program analysis and generates reports related to program participation, health assessment and client utilization.
The information contained herein should be understood to be general insurance brokerage information only and does not constitute advice for any particular situation or fact pattern and cannot be relied upon as such. Statements concerning financial, regulatory or legal matters are based on general observations as an insurance broker and may not be relied upon as financial, regulatory or legal advice. This document is owned by Alera Group, Inc., and its contents may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the written permission of Alera Group, Inc.